This month our vitamin of the month is Aved-Multi® by Anabolic Laboratories. We are giving 10% off Aved-Multi® to all of our patients this month.
Aved-Multi® are convenient multivitamin and multimineral supplements that work to maintain general health in several ways.
Research now shows that approximately 92% of Americans are lacking at least one or more key nutrients and could benefit from multi-vitamins. According to many surveys, some of the essential vitamins and minerals we’re lacking most include magnesium, iron, and vitamins D, E, K, C, and A.
Does everyone need multivitamins?
No. If you are physically active and consistently eat a healthy diet, and have no existing conditions (see list below), you most likely don’t need multivitamins. A healthy diet is low in animal fats and high in organic fruits, vegetables, and fiber.
Unfortunately, most of us don’t eat as healthy as we should nor get in all of the exercises we should.
Why is it important to take multivitamins?
Lack of the necessary vitamins to maintain health, combined with our toxin-laden modern lifestyles, leads to a variety of symptoms that can hold you back from living your life to the fullest and feeling your best.
Here are some common symptoms of vitamin deficiencies that indicate multivitamins would help you.
- Brittle, weak hair and nails
- Hair loss or thinning hair
- Frequent illnesses
- Impaired brain function such as forgetfulness
- Muscle weakness
- Restless leg syndrome
- Muscle cramps
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Bleeding gums
- Mouth ulcers (canker sores)
- Flaky and/or patchy skin
- Fatigue and low motivation
Older age. The elderly are at risk for poor food intake for various reasons: difficulty chewing and swallowing food, experiencing unpleasant taste changes caused by multiple medications, or isolation and loneliness that can depress appetite. They also have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from food. The National Academy of Medicine, in fact, recommends that people over the age of 50 eat foods fortified with vitamin B12 or take vitamin B12 pills that are better absorbed than from food sources. 
Pregnancy. Getting enough folate, a B vitamin, is especially important for women who may become pregnant, since adequate folate can help lower the risk of having a baby with spina bifida or anencephaly. For the folate to be effective, it must be taken in the first few weeks of conception, often before a woman knows she is pregnant. Yet in the U.S., half of all pregnancies are unplanned. That’s why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that all women of childbearing age (ages 15 to 45) consume 600 micrograms a day of folic acid.  This amount and other important nutrients for pregnancy—iron, calcium, vitamin D, and DHA—are available in a prenatal multivitamin.
Malabsorption conditions. Any condition that interferes with normal digestion can increase the risk of poor absorption of one or several nutrients. Examples:
- Diseases like celiac, ulcerative colitis, or cystic fibrosis.
- Surgeries that remove parts of digestive organs such as having a gastric bypass for weight loss or a Whipple procedure that involves many digestive organs.
- Illnesses that cause excess vomiting or diarrhea can prevent nutrients from being absorbed.
- Alcoholism can prevent nutrients, including several B vitamins and vitamin C, from being absorbed.
Certain medications. Some diuretics commonly prescribed to lower blood pressure can deplete the body’s stores of magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Proton pump inhibitors prescribed for acid reflux and heartburn can prevent the absorption of vitamin B12 and possibly calcium and magnesium. Levodopa and carbidopa prescribed for Parkinson’s disease can reduce the absorption of B vitamins including folate, B6, and B12.
Why is Aved-Multi® our recommended multivitamin?
- Every serving of Aved-Multi® provides several nutrients that might work to maintain strong bones‚ such as calcium‚ magnesium‚ and vitamin D3.
- The B-complex vitamins in this Anabolic Laboratories supplement—including thiamine‚ riboflavin‚ and pantothenic acid—may be involved in cellular energy production. Additionally, B-complex vitamins can play key roles in maintaining optimal nervous system and cognitive function.
- Aved-Multi® contains iron‚ which could potentially aid in the formation of red blood cells‚ which is important because red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen from your lungs to other parts of your body.
- Many of the minerals in this product have been chelated (combined) with amino acids in order to encourage improved absorption.
- Aved-Multi® provides a lemon bioflavonoid complex that may work to protect your cells from free radical damage due to its gentle antioxidant properties.
When you come in, just let us know you’re interested in Aved-Multi® multivitamins and receive 10% off.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Dr. Shannan, Dr. Harris, and Dr. Hughes
And our amazing staff, and practitioners.